Thursday, January 8, 2009

quest for the living church

"The good news treasured by Christian faith proclaims that this ineffable horizon graciously approaches us and bids us approach, enfolding us in an ultimate and radical love." p. 41

"Such loving presence is what theology calls grace." p. 41

"First and last the church is the sacramental presence of the promise of God to the world, a community that despite its sinfulness signals to the whole world that God's self-gift is continuously offered to all." p. 43

I want to believe, experience, and behave as a Christian, in the best sense of the word. Since I was a child I have wrestled with my faith and with Christian identity. I devour books that resonate with my sense of what Christianity is at the core and can be in the world. I hold onto companions who share this quest for a radical faith. I want to be challenged beyond awakening into living, daily and in relationship, this faith. And I am amateur. I need teachers and companions in this journey.

Quest for the Living God
is one of those books. It was suggested to me by my friend the Bright Reverend A. In it, I discovered the theologian Karl Rahner, who presented the ideas above in response to the pervasive atheism of the 20th century. Reading this book with A prompted me to find a faith community and I am impressed with our pastor and congregation. Our community convinces me, challenges me, and moves me deeper into a life of faith.


Johnson, Elizabeth A. Quest for the Living God: Mapping frontiers in the theology of God. New York: Continuum. 2007

You can expect more quotes from this book. It really is that good.
The Bright Reverend A isn't actually ordained yet but I am certain that she will be called & supported in it when the time is right. She shines just as bright regardless.

No comments: